Skip to content

Food Cost Analysis Spreadsheet

Assumption: Higher quality foods are more expensive

Problem Question: I want to choose between two foods. On surface the bag price of one food seems very high in comparison to another. But does a high bag price translate to high feed cost?

Some high quality food - let's take any two grain free foods for example - seem to be expensive.  There are several factors involved:

(1) Nutritional Content - kcals/cup
(2) Weight of the food - lbs/cup
(3) Price of the food - $/cup

Basically more kcals/cup = less food required to feed the dog = less money spent.

On the surface it seems less expensive to feed the dog when the per bag price is small.  However, after some analysis one can see this is not necessarily the case.

I've attached a spreadsheet that calculates the cost (and optionally 1/2 Darwins) of two foods.  All of the information is taken off the bag labels and manufacturers website.  The only thing required is to measure the weight of a cup of the two foods under consideration.

This spreadsheet is a static snapshot.  It doesn't include every life stage of the dog to compare projected eating requirements during her lifetime.  I'll leave that up to forum members.  However, my assumption is that the dog will eat less to maintain it's weight as it gets older. So even this simple analysis is a conservative estimate.

In my case, it's significantly less expensive to feed Orijen vs. TOTW over the life of the dog - even though the cost of a single bag of Orijen is higher than TOTW.

Enjoy
xls
xls
Dog Food Cost Analysis.xls