Skip to content

Treadmill Exercise

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

Trained properly, a bull terrier can benefit greatly by use of a treadmill (running machine). For years the canine police units have been utilizing these exercise machines on their dogs in order to achieve high levels of cardio fitness and overall muscular tone. In most cases the dogs enjoy the exercise machines and are happy to use them. However, this is something that would need to be introduced to the dog at an early age and done so with caution just like it would if you were to start a person on a exercise regiment.

Here's a great video that a customer of ours sent to us showing their 1 year old Bull Terrier (Runway) enjoying his daily exercise.

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• At my job we had people promoting a new dog treadmill, I went and grabbed scarlett and put her on it and away she went!!! always loving to run thats her favorite thing ever she took off like a bullet and they were amazed at her strength and tenacity to just go and go and go.
  • Scarlett's favorite thing is the bike, for several miles there is no need to peddle, she will run forever and knows directions like left, right and stop.
  • Danielle,

You need to take a picture of Scarlett on the bike and share it with us.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    She looks like she's having a lot of fun. Cool video!
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • her favorite thing in the world, run and run and run and run some more. Shes always sore the next day!
  • my male Cesar loves his treadmill time he gets on it for 2 hours everyday and enjoys it greatly. i always mix up the speed thru out the 2 hours start off with a light jog then move into a slow walk then go into a run then back to a slow walk all thru the 2 hours he is on it so he doesnt get bored. dont know WHAT i would do without my treadmill!
    It amazes me that some Bullies really love to run on treadmills. However, I have a couple who put their ears up, stare at it when it's on, and keep their distance from it. Lol.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • lol! i tried to slowly introduce Sadie to it but she wont have nothing to do with it! Chimera on the other hand cant figure it out she want to be on it but cant figure out HOW ill put Cesaro on and she will climb on too and be thrown off so she gets right back on and gets thrown off again but always puts herself right back on while Cesar is like "what the heck are doing?"

so she should be an easy one to get to use it

I've got an old retired female named Kolohe that I wish I could get on the treadmill because she's become a couch potatoe and gaining weight. No matter how I ensure to keep her on a strict diet I still catch her from time to time eating scraps from another dogs bowl. I love her to death but she needs some treadmill training bad! When the other dogs are running around the property playing she'd prefer to come back in the house vice condone the common bullie play and craziness.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • For cesar it took several months i worked slowly i would have him around the treadmill all the time and he felt free to climb on it when he wanted then i would use treats asking him to sit and lie down on it did that for about a month so he would ahppily hop onto the belt (while it was off)

then i began turning it on and just letting him watch it moveing he would ignore it then i would practice doing obedience right next to it while it was on did that for about a month so he was comfortible with the sound of it then i brought it all together he fought in the begining when it began moving he would pant and drool and flail but i stayed right there and kept calm just kept putting him back into position. i would only keep him on for 10 mins EVERYDAY sometiems a few times per day then the more comfortible he became i longer and longer he was able to be on it now after a year hes happy to go on it for 2 hours or more

With Kolohe it's not a matter of getting her used to it gradually. Once the treadmill turns on she runs for cover. Probably cause she knows I want her on it. The other dogs love it and I have to turn it off on them in order for them to get off it. However, getting Kolohe to use it would be a miracle. I'm just going to have to put a leash on her and jog with her. As long as she's with someone she'll do her best to run along with them.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • personally i would jsut leave it running for several hours so she learns theres nothing scary about it just running
    She hears it on all the time and has watched other dogs using it. She's just set in her ways and stubborn. :D
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com