Skip to content

Deaf puppy

I was planning on adopting a 9 week old deaf puppy this weekend. I have been doing research on training, etc. I was on a bull terrier club site from the UK and it stated that most deaf bullies led miserable lives and were nearly impossible to train and normally became aggressive.

Also, that a responsible breeder would never knowingly sell a deaf puppy. They were going to sell It to me for $450.00. Am I being unnaturally skeptical and cautious?
HELP! Does anyone have a deaf bullie and some good advice?
Thanks, Annette

Comments

• I don't agree that they would ever be miserable and the aggressive can happen in any dog not just a bt or a deaf dog. I think the only real challenge you would have is training and I have know several people train a deaf dog that are more obedient than ones that can hear because they look to you for guidance as well as count on their other senses more. I think having other dogs around would also be a plus to keep the dog active and keen. I don't know anything as far as selling a deaf puppy, it's not that their being dishonest their telling you it's deaf and that is pretty cheap fir a bt. However rescues a lot of times try to recoup their money that have into a dog such as spaying/neuter costs and the vet bills they paid to make sure the dog is healthy and ask for that much and sometimes more or less depends g on the health of the dog. I think it would be a great experience to raise a deaf dog as they would learn sign language instead of verbal cues which I do with my dogs anyway because they say they learn better with hand and verbal commands opposed to just verbal. My dogs will run thru basic obedieonce and I don't have to speak a word I think it's neat!!! Solely up to you but I would do it in a minute. I do love a good challenge though:) just my opinions.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

I completely disagree with the statement that most deaf bullies lead miserable lives, impossible to train, and become aggressive. I've seen well behaved deaf puppies before and I've heard from other people who own or owned a deaf EBT about their personal love for their dog. I also had people contact me looking for one after theirs had passed away from old age.

However, although a deaf puppy can be born from excellent bloodlines and pedigree most deaf puppies come from inappropriate breeding and from unprofessional and inexperieinced breeders that may be breeding unhealthy dogs or too many white to white mates. With this said, those puppies that are born deaf may have had undesirable character and temperament quirks to begin with due to their bloodlines.

I will agree with the statement in regard to a responsible breeder selling a deaf puppy for $450 is rediculous. I can see a breeder asking for an adoption fee for a deaf puppy as a sign of commitment to raise the puppy vice giving away any puppy providing people to "Give it a try" without any financial loss. However, $450 is too much to charge someone for a dog with genetic disorders and a handicap. $200 or less would be appropriate or even free to someone they knew, trusted, and kept in touch with.

Unfortunitely, if the puppy you're looking at adopting is being advertised for $450 I would have to question their compassion for finding loving and permenant homes vice financial gain. Unless they're charging that amount to prove some type of commitment for raising the puppy. Even shelters have an addoption fee regardless what breed of dog or cat is in need of a home. You never know, the breeder may claim to be charging $450 and when they find someone willing to pay for the puppy and raise him or her they may just tell you "Don't worry about the adoption fee, we just wanted to find the right person for our loved puppy." 

My recommendation for you would be to find out a little more about the breeder, the health and temperament of their dogs, and the reputation they have for producing quality Bull Terriers. It's starting to sound as though this breeder might just be a backyard breeder that cares more about making money than developing healthy puppies. Spend some time with the ( hopefully true) parents of the puppy and get familiar with their temperaments as will be a good indicator of what to expect from your puppy despite his handicap.

Hey I wonder if those people from the Bull Terrier Club in UK think people who are born hearing impaired are more aggressive than people who can hear or lead miserable lives? Just a thought.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The breeders website is ulinbullterriers.com if you would be interested in looking at the litter they have for sale. She is the one on the bottom left that says $500.00.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks again everyone for the advice.....
    edited October 2012

Well after looking at their website it's apparent they are simply a small backyard breeder. Nothing wrong with that if they are breeding with quality EBT's to withold the standards of the breed and doing so with health and temperament in mind.

Here's the questionable areas I picked up on:

• Their health guarantee is a "Copy and Paste" from several other breeders pages. This guarantee protects them against just about everything that could medically go wrong with a dog. With this said the guarantee really has little merit.
    • There's only a few pictures of their breeding dogs. They list about 3 adult dogs and mention the third one (Gabby) as being retired. Oddly she looks like their youngest Bull Terrier and actually nicest looking one. With this said, their breeding pair is Bodger x Clover. This is something people have to figure out for themselves because on their Puppies For Sale page they mention nothing about the parents. They mention that all their dogs have champion pedigree. Not to be mean, but if so the champion pedigree must be back in the 4th generation. Most reputable breeders scan their dogs pedigree and proudly display it unless ofcourse the pedigree isn't all that impressive or comes from unknown bloodlines from continued backyard breeding.
    • Their website and domain name http://ulinbullterriers.com has only been in existance since 2011. Meaning they're fairly new to advertising on the internet.
    • They have no customer feedback most likely because this is either their first or second litter.
    • There are no records under the name UlinBullTerriers within AKC. Reputation through AKC can't be verified.
    • All information about their dogs, who they are, etc is extremely vague and doesn't provide enough confidence for most people looking for a reputable breeder.
    • They mention their bloodline coming from Ann-Dee's. However, both Bullies don't have the normal structure and conformation from a typical well bred Ann-Dee's dog.

These are just my oppinions and what I information I gained from their limited website. However, I must say that every breeder with a website likes to post their best pictures of their dogs for the aspect of impressing others. Here's a photo of their only 2 dogs and breeding pair. I don't wish to judge them and don't think it would be very appropriate if I were to. I just wished to share my feelings and concerns I'd have based on what's posted and seen from their website. For all I know they could have two top show winning EBT's free from any genetic issues and breeding to compliment the standards vice lower it. However, after producing a $500 deaf puppy and what I see from the website I'm in doubt. I say "Be Careful." Ask them to send you a copy of the parents pedigree. I think we'd all like to see the champion lines.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • 500 for a deaf puppy!!!! NO WAY!!!!! I dont know if I would EVEN charge ANYTHING to anyone for a deaf puppy!! Firstly my concern would be having the dog altered or having a contract stating the dog MUST BE spayed/neutered with its new owners, and secondly I would be concerned with finding a WONDERFUL home with a patient new owner who knew the challenge they had in the future. But that to me is SELFISH to ask 500 for a puppy who cant hear!!! I have seen this breeder before and to me they don't have quality! A deaf puppy happens, its an accident, but honestly, i dont agree with it. I agree with Steve!
  • edited October 2012
    Ok I am going to bat for this dog and Annette, not saying anything about the breeder I don't know them nor will I ever need to, first off when a rescue takes in a dog whether it be pure breed or not they charge a according to what they have into the dog which is somtime's quite a bit with spaying/neutering, worming, shots etc. I have seen dogs from a rescue with a pricy tag on them ( no I don't agree with this ) to try to recover their expenses since the rescue. Some do this just to ensure or try to in my opinion a good home. This is an expensive dog with a disability. I am saying nothing I n regards to pedigree because this dog could easily be rehomed again and again because the right person never came along and end up a shelter dog itself. 450 is steep but maybe in Annette's case this would be the perfect home which they were trying to ensure in the first place. What should be charged for a healthy maybe not so wonderful pedigree dog or maybe it's a great pedigree but the dog is still deaf and to me this is minor but indeed the right home needs to be found. To me money is great but it doesn't mean anything in regards to a great dog owner. I am torn for her as I also agree with Steve and Zerlett and Steve is the master on the Q&A because of the many years of loving this breed. I say contact them and possibly they come down on the price but I am not saying don't do it either because if this dog is otherwise healthy theirs years and years of dog love their that no amount of money can buy, and this dog would get a great home by the sounds of it:)

I agree, often a puppy or grown dog may require medical attention which can cost a lot of money. However, just because someone spends hundreds or thousands of dollars on the health of a puppy doesn't exactly mean the individual dog is worth that amount or requires to be sold for the price of the medical bills. Yes, many shelters have to provide medical aid to some of the rescue dogs that come in but than again many of the rescues are state funded and the vets working there are on a salary. Let's face it, many things that Vets and doctors do that takes only a few short mintues can cost hundreds of dollars and (to me) that may not warrant selling the dog for hundreds of dollars. In this particular case with the deaf puppy it didn't cost them any money in medical expenses to treat the puppy for any health issues. The puppy is deaf and requires a good home not a financial gain.

Last year we bred Maximus to Calypso and had 7 gorgeous puppies. However, one of the males was born very small and weak. My wife Julie hand raised him for about a week until he was strong enough to be put back in the weaning box with the rest of his siblings. The puppy ate just fine and was real active but his growth was very slow. All the puppies were sold the day they were born due to how many people were on our waiting list patiently waiting on a puppy. After about 4 weeks it became evident that this particular puppy was not going to be as big as he should be. he was actually half the size as the rest of the puppies. My concern is that we advertise our litters to meet the breed standards and have the qualities expected in a top EBT but I wasn't confident this puppy would meet the required height standards and weight for a male Bull Terrier. I called the owner who had placed a deposit on him and explained the situation and told her I didn't feel the puppy would have the height and weight expected to meet the standards and due to my feelings I would not sell him for his Pedigree III listing price and wished to find a good home for him. I told her my plan was to reduce his price from $1600 to $200 based on his develoment. I recommended she wait for an upcoming litter where she could receive an alternate puppy that would be appropriately priced based on his qualities that this puppy lacked. She immediately said "I will never ever tell Winstin (she already named him) that he was marked down or clearance. I WANT him still."

To make a long story short, I sold him for $200 and he received the best home in the world. they send pictures all the time and tell me how great of dog he is. He actually grew to normal size (go figure). Needless to say, it wasn't about financial gain as much as it was about doing the right thing and being professional. Now the same people who purchased Winston from us got back on our waiting list for another puppy. They recently choose a Black Brindle female from Lucian x Cyra litter which was a $2000 puppy.

The moral of the story is, you'll gain a better reputation as a breeder if the objective as a breeder is to develop healthy top quality puppies that find appropriate and loving homes. Financial gain shouldn't be the underlining factor of breeding.

The truth is, the breeder of this deaf puppy didn't spend an extra dollar on the deaf puppy, made profitable gain off the other puppies, and still wishes to gain profit from a genetically handicapped puppy. Sorry, but I just don't see the need to put a $450 price tag on this dog. Their other puppies sold for $1000 which is a common price for backyard breeders and puppy mills. They sell their dogs with Full Registration which means they could care less who the owners breed their dogs with regardless if it creates further health and genetic issues.

My biggest fear with this deaf puppy isn't really the hearing impairment element as much is it is on the possibilities of character and temperment faults existant from the bloodlines combined with the handicap.

Again, I recommend viewing the pedigree of the parents as well as spending some time with the parents. If the parents are healthy good natured dogs go for it if you feel $450 is an appropriate price.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks to all of you for your advice and support. I raised some questions with the breeder and apparently he didn't like or appreciate what I said. I sent an article about the difficulties of raising deaf dogs. I also suggested that we renegotiate the price. I did however tell him that If he still wanted me to adopt her that I would make a lifelong commitment to her and give her a forever home regardless of the difficulties that may arise.

Well he replied saying he was going to look elsewhere for a home for her. He thought that I was concentrating on the worst case scenario. I would like to think that something good may come out of this experience, like him letting these dogs retire and breed no longer. It would all have been worth it. Thanks again.
  • Annette what I think you were offering is nothing short of appropriate and noble. Personally, I would never consider adopting or owning a deaf bull terrier based on I rely on my dogs to hear me far too much, and I feel I would be more handicapped than the dog by the situation. Personally the breeder should have felt BLESSED that he had someone coming forth and wanting to adopt his deaf puppy, which i don't think would be easy if I was in his shoes. I find it hurtful and disappointing that they are more worried about selling there puppy for a high price than to find a suitable and loving home for their special needs baby. Obviously, it IS for financial gain and not for the welfare of his babies. I would feel sad and embarrassed if I had a puppy with this problem and would have jumped at the chance of a great home, like I said, I would be almost obligated to GIVE away a deaf puppy than to consider selling it at all.

With ellies first litter she had stepped on one of her puppies tails and broke it. His name was Wingy, but after that we called him Kinky. I lowered his price to 600 (pet only) and found a home that loved him and his kinked tail. It was only cosmetic and my vet said not to worry about it, he is now neutered and I see him from time to time. 
  • Sad to hear as well that these people are that motivated by a dollar:( luckily you weeded that situation with little effort!!! Good for you and I am appalled that they turned your offer down:( I would however take on a deaf bully as I feel it it would be so very rewarding to work with a special dog such as one that's deaf however just not from these individuals:( sad to know yet another byb out their:( Steve your puppy story was awesome and a happy ending and I'm so glad your out their giving advice and helping those like myself that are apparently way to trusting:/ I am learning though:)

Thanks for the kind words Leslie.

Danielle is right, and you would have been the perfect person for their puppy. After I viewed their website, pictures, and read everthing they had annotated I must admit I didn't have a good feeling about them. I think you probably sensed that yourself.

I can almost guarantee you they will not be able to "Sell" their deaf puppy for $450 and they'll realize it themselves in a couple weeks as the puppy gets bigger and bigger. I'm sure they're getting a few calls about the puppy because they have her listed for $500. Very odd that they aren't depicting her as deaf though.  :-?

It wouldn't shock me if they call you back in a week or two and offer the puppy to you at a much lower price.  

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they lie to someone about the puppy being deaf!!!
  • edited October 2012
    Our Snoopy isn't deaf, but he has a hearing problem.  He can't tell from where the sounds/voices originate.  He doesn't respond to a soft sound.   He is not aggressive.  He appears very well adjusted.  He does startle easily where he jumps and tucks his tail.  No teeth or aggression.  Things can "sneak" up on him, and he is not aware until it comes within his eyesight... think car or another dog.  As long as you are willing to go the extra, caring mile and make sure the deaf dog has positive experiences out in the real world, I don't see any problem.
  • I too believe the price was way off.  I am sure they did not have the puppy tested so their costs would have been minimumal.  While some people may not want a Bull Terrier that may have hearing or sight problems this will be made up in other ways.  A deaf dog can be trained to utilize hand signals and eye to eye contact will be very keen.  I once had a Bull Terier a long time ago a breeder gave me.  He was 2 years old but he had detatched retinas and was blind.  While he was never bred by me we formed a great bond and he would be ever at my side.  I still think of him fondly for his loyalty and affection.  
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC