Skip to content

New guy

edited August 2013 in Forum Member Photos
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, but have been checking out some of the discussions, and have gotten so much help I wanted to thank everyone. My wife and I got our first bull terrier in December of last year, after our breeder decided to retire Lefty. He's a pretty calm guy, but 're still dealing with a few dominance issues. Our walks being the worst, and mostly if there is someone with us. He pulls constantly, and although I try to remain calm it can become quite frustrating haha. imageimage
image.jpg
960 x 720 - 172K
image.jpg
2816 x 2112 - 1M

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Welcome!

Wow, Lefty is a good looking boy!!!

He was retired from stud service? How old is he?

• Wow, look at that outstanding nose!!!!! I can't help with the walking. Our problem is the exact opposite. If you look up "if the leash fits" you'll find a thread where everyone gave me some great leash training advice!! Good luck and welcome!
  • He is 5 yrs, but has stage 3 kidney disease. The vets are not sure how long he has but we enjoy every day with him and hope for the best.
  • First things- get yourself a 4 foot lead instead of a long ling or retractible.

I personally liked the "silky leash" technique. you can go to youtube and search "silky leash technique"

where you teach your dog they can get your attention by even a slight tug-

I also like free-shaping with a cliker to teach a dog to not pull.

grab  the 4 footer and take him out into the yard with a pocket of treats and a clicker, I find it easier to tie the lead around my waits and walk, when he pulls in one direction walk in the other waiting for him to look up at you, the second he does  "CLICK" and quickly reward then go rightb ack to walking around the yard, when he pulls, change direction, when he looks at you "CLICK" and reward.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    If he's constantly pulling (and pulling hard) you may want to try a pinch choke collar. Those harnesses sure look nice and fancy but if he's full grown and not used to being on a lead I'd start off with something that will have more control and provide some prevention from his urge to pull.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I second the prong.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • What a handsome boy! Welcome to the forum. May you both relish and love each other for a long time to come!
  • He has his Canadian championship, so he is used to the lead, which always makes me wonder if it is something that I was doing wrong, like I said he is my first bullie. Thanks for all the advice so far, we will definitely be taking all of it in. So nice to be welcomed the way we have been.