Skip to content

Keeping a white bull terrier white!

edited September 2012 in Bull Terrier Description

I am looking for some new ideas on how to keep the white coats white! I have moved to a new region of the US and now I cant seem to keep my white bullies looking good! Their coats get stained here and they are never as white as they were before we moved. I use whitening shampoos and they are not cutting it. I used to use peroxide on my horses feet when I was preparing them for an event, but I am not sure if that would be a good idea for my bullies...Any thought or tips would be appreciated!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited September 2012

Through my experience with having to bath our bullies often since they just love to get as dirty as possible, I've learned that DAWN dishwashing soap works the best and doesn't contain the harsh chemicals in it that can be bad on their skin. Most Vets will agree it's actually the dog shampoo of choice. Remember the big Oil Spill that killed many aquatic animals? For the animals that were able to be saved they used Dawn to clean all the oil off them. Dawn also kills fleas on dogs. It has been used for years on many animals besides dogs. I like Dawn not just because it gets my dogs cleaner than "Dog Shampoos" but because it costs less and doesn't have the harsh chemicals which can cause skin irratations and hair loss.

Get yourself a good dog brush and give Dawn a try. I'm confident you'll stop using the Dog Shampoos, whiteners, and other products found in the grooming section of your local pet store.

dawn.png
    320 x 305 - 90K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm always trying to keep the white on their muzzles from looking dirty.  Those noses just go EVERYWHERE and collect dirt very badly.  It doesn't wipe off very well.  Also, both our Bullies, mess with their feet, so their feet do not look a bright white.
    I saw info on Dawn being used for oil spills, but I forgot about it until you just wrote about it, Steve.
  • Yeah, I have used Dawn for fleas and it worked great! I dont know why I didnt think of it for their coats! I will give it a try!
  • This freaking works!!!! One question though is there certain ones better than others for instance I use dawn power clean??? I don't want to affect their coat.....
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.

Yes, it does! I use the regular one, blue in color. :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Cleo recently decided to go out and pee in the middle of the night and found herself a skunk friend that just didn't like her as well as she liked him I'm guessing...yup I'm sleeping and she came back in and in turn my entire house filled with the grand smell of skunk:( my pit used to do this several times a year and just in case anyone doesn't know how to rid their pet of this wonderful smell here's how......yes you can use tomato juice but it's messy so here is the alternative....baking soda, peroxide, and yup dawn dish soap mixed!!!!!! My pit wasn't white so I never realized just how wonderful dawn dish soap was for whitening also but this mix sure saved my gagging life of this horrid smell:)
    Uggg.... that's one task I hope I never have to experience. Luckily there aren't very many skunks in my area. I've actually never seen one. I'm sure if there were some in the area my Bullies would find them.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I used a tearless baby shampoo on the face of the bullies, and i use a regular tooth brush and scrub their faces with it!

Johnsons Baby shampoo is a mild form of shampoo that may not sting the eye on a baby and keep a baby's hair clean but it wont clean a dog that gets down and dirty. The tear glands and sensitivity of a dogs eye are a lot different than a humans. Dawn or other soaps and shampoos will not bother a dog at all. I scrub the face of my Bullies with dawn and they don't move away or show any signs of discomfort. You'd have to do a lot of scrubbing with baby shampoo for it to be effective in order to deep clean. It also doesn't kill fleas like dawn will. Dawn has the power to get rid of grease and oil without using harsh chemicals. This is probably why it cleans so well and why so many Vets recommend it. I still remember when the news showed that nasty oil spill in the ocean and there were many penguins covered in it. They showed a pelican being cleaned with Dawn and spoke in length about how it was the best product to clean animals safely and affectively. You'll see it readily available and on hand at almost every Vet office, Zoo, and other places where animals require bathing. Places you won't see it - Pet Grooming Centers, Pet stores, and other places where the main concern is making money by offering expensive dog shampoos with cute pictures of dogs on the bottles. I highly recommend doing a test comparison between a top dog shampoo against Dawn and really seeing which one not only works better but which one best benifits their coat and provides no negative effects.

I use a brush simular to this one with a strap on it. It's made for short hair dogs and was purchased from PetSmart.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yea I use the dawn soap too, but I have to follow with a conditioner because it dries out their skin. But I dont have any desire to put it on their faces, since using a tearless on the face with a toothbrush really does the trick for me and gets it clean. I have a ton of different shampoos and a grooming station in my garage, at my job they were throwing away a grooming table and a giant stainless steel tub! So I took them home, hooked it up in my garage so I can wash them without breaking my back! I wash the dogs frequently, every two weeks or so. I use a zoom groom brush to rub in the conditioner after the shampoo, brush their teeth and clean their ears, I have so many grooming products its ridiculous haha.
    You got hooked up with a Grooming Station - That's awesome! I need one of those bad! Those stainless tubs aren't cheap at all.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Its a life saver, since my job cracked down on the frequency of us bringing our dogs to work, i needed an alternative, I wasnt going to even try to wash them in my tub, before I got the stainless steel tub I was going to buy a booster bath, it was my next best option. I had a couple bull terriers stay at my house for about a week, they are leaving tomorrow so I am going to wash them up and dremmel their nails before they leave tomorrow.
  • I bought a Pet Jet that hooks up to my sink and reaches my tub I love it beats the old cup method and way nicer on my back and rinses much better:)) I bought it at Menards and it also dispenses soap I do that with my hands so I have never actually put soap in but it works wonders and can bath them in half the time and their rinsed clean....I only bath my dogs once a month at the most other wise it dries out their coat as bathing to much will a actually remove their natural oils that protect their skin...
  • I cant have the dogs dirty often, drives me nuts, claxxton lives to piss all over his own legs to apparently, and so I wash him a lot. So I follow with a good conditioner to keep the skin looking good. Im a bit of a clean freak, so kennels get washed, and dogs do too haha

• LOL!!! I just love that dog!!! Brutus is always dirty!!! I sometimes just wash his dirty spots cause he does look a mess quite often and I to like that nice white chest:)
  • our dog Tori is often killing some animal or another in the backyard , especially when we go away on vacation . a couple of years ago she got sprayed in the face by a skunk (and then killed it ! ) . The person who was sitting with her used Coke to wash her , it did a pretty good job . We did still smell it whenever she got wet though so we got a de - skunk shampoo and a room spray from the vet . It still took a few weeks until she was 100% odor free , skunk is hard to get rid of with just one wash !

• edited May 2013
    I use Pet Head , ME so polished shampoo and mix in about 1 tbl spoon of Fudge, clean blond violett shampoo. I also use a shampoo brush, and leave the
     shampoo in for a bit. The Violett pigment in Fudge, neutralizes the shades of "yellowness" that the white dogs get. (Like me, im blond, and my hair gets yellow, and i use Fudge regular to keep the shade cold white) (and yes, im a hairdresser...so thats why I know these things)

Anyway, if you are scared that the dog will go violett, take one side at a time... Just to be on the safe side.

*TLC*

I asked for an angel, so I was sent a AdoreBull ♡♡
  • Dawn is the best I must agree with Steve! Kills fleas and cleans perfectly! Keeps my baby grls white parts white.
  • Wish they sold it in the uk could do with it for ny two .
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks just looked and cant find anything about shipping to uk ie delivery price .
    Well, here's a another website where you can order and ship to your location. http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=220352&catid=277873&aid=337431

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Does anyone know of a detergent equivalent to Dawn that I could get in Europe.
    One Bully is just not enough
  • When your done giving your dog a bath, spray dawn soap (mixed) on your plants.  Kills bugs!
  • @whitebull - if you can find it I'm sure we can send something over. Dawn is cheap for the non-concentrated bottle at $1 or concentrated at around $2-3. Only need to use a dime size that I mix with a dime size of baby soap.

Mike
    It is cheap and can be ordered online.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I know Stoges_mom was happy to see this thread...

She's been washing Stoeger with Dawn anytime he gets grungy.

He got scrubbed this morning, looks like a new dog, haha!

• The shipping to Malta is never cheap. If i do not find an alternative I will ask my friend who is going to the US in October to bring some back for me. It can wait till then.
    One Bully is just not enough
  • I have a question iv looked into different types of creams and chalks to use on my bull terriers what's a good one that u would recommend
    edited November 2013
    For those that wish to create your own shampoo that's perfect for Bull Terriers and provides a nice smell as well as flea killer here you go:

You will need:
    • Sterilized container for shampoo
    • 2 cups water
    • 2 teaspoons Dawn dishwashing detergent
    • 2 teaspoons aloe vera
    • 2 teaspoons olive oil (vegetable oil will also work)
    • 2-3 drops of pennyroyal
    • 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil (for flea control)
      Pour the ingredients into the container and shake well to blend (actually, always shake well before each use).
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I've used Dawn for a while and recently switched over to Neutrogena clarifying shampoo and I have to say I think it works a ton better! I won't be using it all the time, as it's 5 bucks for a small bottle and dawn is just easier, but it will be my show shampoo or if I want to super spruce my white babies coats for a special occasion. Just have to follow with a nice conditioner as it can be drying.
    Ah yes, there are many other shampoos out there much better but for normal use from dirty days of play it works perfectly. For show purposes there's many other products for a white bullie that are used other than shampoo.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • hey could someone help me with what type of aloe vera
  • I don't think it matters the brand, as long as it's AV. You can find it at any store!
  • Ah yes, there are many other shampoos out there much better but for normal use from dirty days of play it works perfectly. For show purposes there's many other products for a white bullie that are used other than shampoo.

¿What products other than shampoo you would use for show purposes?
    Thanks!
    Stark they actually make shampoos for brightening white coats. There are many available and if you ever get the opportunity to go to a dog show you will see several vendors selling all kinds of products from shampoos, conditioning lotions, chalks, powders, etc.

White Bull Terriers at the shows are chalked up and powered to get them even whiter.

The attached document was sent to me a while back by Victoria who wrote the article. Within it you'll find some her suggestions for grooming a white BT for show and the list of products.

pdf
    pdf
    SHOWING_YOUR_BULL_TERRIER.pdf
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks so much for the info!!!