Skip to content

DHA and protein questions.

OK, I changed my mind on feeding Sookie Canidae and have decided on using TOTW seeing that I can get it locally. When I went to the Tractor and Supply store (they were having a sale $5 off) they didn't have the High Prarie puppy formula in stock but they had the all life stages formula . I compared the ingredients and the are almost identical except in two areas. The all life stages mix has a protein content of 32% and the puppy mix is 28% protein, I think I have that right. Also the puppy mix has DHA, which puppies supposedly need. My question is what is your opinions for our breed on the protein content for puppies and adults, and is DHA essential for a BT? By the way I got a rain check for two bags of the puppy formula and was notified today that I won a $10 gift card and a goodie bag for Sookie from a raffle I entered in store.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @mikewho - When you start asking about specific percentages of protein, carb, DHA, etc you're going to get a whole lot of personal opinions. These opinions will vary depending on each persons BT, their lifestyle, age of the dog, and energy level. The best thing you could do is compare the different foods from websites like www.dogfoodadvisor.com which will give you details on the nutritional values of each food.
    The DHA is a natural omega-3 fatty acid essential for the brain and nervous system in young mammals of all kinds. My opinion is that all BT's need DHA in their diet. If you read some of the past threads you'll probably note that many of us provide omega-3 to our Bullies on a daily basis by using a product called Grizzly Salmon Oil. If you research the benefits of omega-3 for canines I think you'll be wanting to keep it a part of your dog's nutritional diet. With this said, I would have to say DHA is most definitely essential for a BT.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @mikewho - I used Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy for two months then switched in TOTW Southwest Canyon all life stages mixed with the BB and its worked well. I do add two squirts of salmon oil in the morning. His coat is nice and shiney even tho he has a hot spot from a bite. It's clearing up and growing the hair back with the help of neosporin to remedy it early followed by bag balm.

I ran out of BB but will be getting another nag of Natures Domain, which is very similar to TOTW at my local Costco to mix with the TOTW. It is the same as the TOTW Pacific Stream since its made in the same factory out here in norther California. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

He's close to 40 lbs now at 7 months. He has gained about 2 pounds a week and is full of energy. Walks for 30 minutes and dog park visits almost every day. Can't be anymore happier with the dry kibble.
  • @ soapskid and @ BulliesofNC - Thanks for your input. TOTOW according to the label has everything my pup will need. It already has the Salmon oil in it. When I switch her off of the puppy mix I may start with the rizzly Salmon Oil. Any opinions on using the fish oil capsules, ingredients seem the same and less expensive. 
  • If you have a costco membership you can get 2 32oz bottles for 36.99 shipped. So far one bottles lasted two months and still has maybe a quarter left in it.

Otherwise you can get the Grizzly Oil. The reason I dont use the capsules is it doesnt give the proper nutrients you need. There is a discussion on this in another thread.
  • Anyone ever tried the Alaskan Natural salmon oil diffent maker than grizzly?????? Why I ask is because I'm thinking of trying it oppose to the polluck that I'm not super happy with.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.